Monday, March 22, 2010

Reunited At Last!

It's an interesting friend dynamic when you find yourself reunited after 8 months apart after having once spent so much time together (tutoring, Dr. Unks, Geisha Class, workout buddies, sorority sistas, dinner club founders, summer school scholars, too much time together). It's also interesting when your reunion takes place in China.
When one asks me how I became enthusiastic about Asia, I have to admit - a lot has to do with Krisanna. So the Story Goes, it was one of my first weeks in college and as a junior then, Krisanna knew who I was through Chi O rush and saw me at a SEAS interest meeting. Seeking me out from the crowd, she bounded over to me super excited that I was interested in the Southeast Asian Summer Program - due to rush, she knew my name, my sister, my school, my features, my flaws, everything. I did not know who in the world she was...except that she LOVED Asia. Her infectious excitement about Asia quickly was transfered as I learned more about SEAS. Due to our mutual friend Angelo Coclanis, Krisanna and I hung out together in Singapore in the summer of 2008 and met En-Ming Ong, Angelo's Choate tennis partner and began our network of Asian pals through UNC.
Returning to UNC, Krisanna encouraged me to get involved in SEAIA - the Southeast Asia Interest Association of Carolina. From then, I became Secretary to her Presidency and we raised almost $1,700 for an orphanage in Mae Sot, Thailand through our annual SEAIA Benefit Dinner. Staying connected and jazzed about travel and asia, we took similar courses having both done the SEAS track and also took a great course on Geisha's. I realize I'm writing too much about a random thing but it may help put into perspective how deep this friendship is and how paths cross across the world. Anyways, Krisanna and I became great friends, chefs, geishas, fast pace walkers, you name it! So it was a real treat to see her in her element, speaking fluent Mandarin in Shanghai! Her birthday party was a great evening and the rest of the weekend a true joy (we were lucky with the weather too)!

2 Dutchmen, a couple sorority girls, and a Singaporean go for Teppanyaki... sounds like a joke.

Birthday girl enjoyed my feather gift.

This pic goes to Angelo Coclanis. Thanks for being the mutual friend!
2nd time Reunion with Ming in Asia so far, going for reunion #3 this weekend in Hong Kong (he has a school field trip ahah).

Never thought it would happen, a Shanghai Reunion - what next! Guilin for Easter!


Nice to have a touch of familiarity, Catherine

Posted by Picasa