Thursday, March 11, 2010

The More the Merrier!

Jessica and I set out on an adventure Thursday to find the Michelin starred Tim Ho Wan dim sum restaurant in Mong Kok. http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/good-living/michelins-cheapest-star/2009/11/30/1259429326061.html?autostart=1

We found the place because it was the only little shop with a million people outside. The restaurant has room for 20 customers. 20. So we took a number (fortunately Jessica speaks Cantonese at home in Raleigh so she was a miracle worker getting our number and translating the menu). #160. And we were on #90 when we arrived. So Jessica and I were chatting and catching up on life, when a lovely woman asked us what to order. Funny thing was I had seen her in the MTR because I liked her skirt. And here is where my magnet magic occurs again. So I start talking to her, her name is Mariko and she is from Chibu, Japan (where I spent my layover from the US!). She travels when her husband goes on work to Hong Kong and Singapore and other places. We are talking and I mention North Carolina and she goes, "Charlotte!" Ended up that her husband works for Bank of America! Just around that time a man comes to the moshpit with a UNC sweatshirt on - I run up to him and ask him if he went to UNC, unfortunately he replied "Izts my sons. No university." Okay so, fail. But then I go back to Mariko and continue talking and offer her to eat lunch with us. In the world of dim sum, the dishes usually come in 3's or 4's - although Jessica and I were prepared to take on that many it made perfect sense to add one more to our party! Mariko was alone so she was ecstatic to sit with us, and filled us in on a secret - It was her Birthday! So the three of us - all foodies - combined out numbers and moved up to Mariko's number 144! Anxiously waiting the powerful hostess to call our number (in Cantonese), we discussed travel stories and food recommendations. Finally, our number was called and we submitted our menu list (a check list style for dim sum) and as each dim sum came out we ooooh-ed and ahhh-ed over the flavors, textures, and tastiness.

3 girls from all over the world just having the time of their lives. Mariko had so much fun with us that she invited us to contact her when we go to Tokyo, where she said she'd love to take us around to the great food spots of Japan. VICTORY!
See other post on the dim sum. Seriously was unbelievable. Even the steamed jelly with petals
And the total price for all three = 178 HKD or under 8 dollars a person. Practically got one of each, except for 2 of the bbq pork buns - we knew they would be two good.
But our foodie adventure didn't stop there! Jessica and I went on to find the number one egg tart cafe in Hong Kong - Honolulu Cafe! Looking oh so Hong Kongese, check me out with some milk tea and egg tart. Don't think I've been so happy in Hong Kong before! Adventure+Foodie+Fresh Air+Befriending Strangers=The Best Day Ever (in Hong Kong).

- Catherine