Sunday, July 11, 2010

Spirit of the Doppelganger

Many of us have spotted that crazy haired tall girl walking around and been like, Noo way. She's in Asia! but the spririt of the doppelganger is a great one, you see something you wish to see simply because well that person has such an impression on you that you make it up in your head that they look identical to someone you know. In Asia, I see lots of doppelgangers... okay, bad joke, but How I Met Your Mother had a show on doppelgangers and they mentioned on thing: 5 years ago, we were all ourselves, but now we are just doppelgangers of that. 

True I might look like myself 5 years ago but we have all changed over those years that it's almost not the same person.  Although I wish that was so, I think I look more different 5 years ago than I personally am. But when you think about it 2010 - 5 years = 2005, wow! I was 115lbs. in Paris, living with a family, studying abroad. I was what I would consider wildly amazed by blending cultures and techno music. Well, see not much has changed. I'm now, 1__ lbs and 4.5 inches taller (when wearing 3 inch heels to work), living by myself in Hong Kong, working in FX Sales and Trading, working on average 14 hours a day, fascinated by different cultures and techno music. See not much is different. Okay, actually a lot is different and the only thing that holds the same is the international curiosity and the necessity for a beat to dance wherever I might be.  

I guess the doppelganger idea does play out, but consider what were you 5 years ago and where do you see yourself 5 years from now? Is life just a continuation of new doppelgangers, or is there something that glues the doppelgangers together to combine them as Catherine. I call it character, but some people lose that in all their changes and make such drastic life differences that they are not the same individual they were at 4, which is still my perfect age. Others, barely change so that there is no personal growth and though they might be the same person you know them as there is nothing pushing them to keep up with the rapidly changing doppelgangers of the world. 

So the important thing to get out it is that regardless of how you change whatever pace it may be, keep sight of your core - be it your quirks, your drive, your integrity, your sense of humor, (my dad would say your fitness level, but we all know that gravity and greasy chinese food are pretty insistent on destroying that), your essence that at the end of the day people can note your intellectual evolution or your "maturity" whatever that might be but they still hold the same amount of respect for you and trust for you that they did when you were just Catherine to them. 


Catherine Coley ▪ GLOBE IV ▪ BSBA Class of 2011 ▪ UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School
▪ Hong Kong cell +852.6974.4874 ▪ catherinegcoley@gmail.com