Monday, February 24, 2020

The Cunning Man, Short Film, Review And Interview


An out of the way farmer, Afran, picks up dead animals and takes them back to his farm. Two other men are not keen on him doing so because they have some ideas of their own of what to do with the animals. This all leads to an interesting confrontation.

The Cunning Man was screened at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Fantastic Short.

Synopsis: An enchanted tale of compassion in the face of callous greed.

I recommend this film for those who like to see the underdog, and compassion, win out.

Ali Cook wrote The Cunning Man and shares insights about the film and their life.

What was the inspiration for The Cunning Man?

The Cunning Man is inspired by John Harries (1785-1839) a physician and real 'Cunning Man.' Feared and admired in his native Wales, it is claimed he was able to heal people and animals with modern medicine and folklore magic.

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

Yes, I'm working on my debut feature The Grimoire that I'm very excited about—it's dark mysterious film about another medieval book of spells.

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

I was performing in a comedy club when a young director called Andrew Saunders saw me and asked me to star in his short film Striklem. Little did I know he was being mentored by Stephen Frears. It's still one of my best experiences as an actor being directed by the best of the best and it was my first experience.

 

What would be your dream project?

I've written a comedy about a new age book centre called Mysteries of Ripon. It's based on my experience growing up working in my mum's new age bookshop and the loveable but deeply flawed people who worked there such as Adrian the yoga teacher with severe anger issues…

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

I'm a professional stand-up comedian and magician. So, I love reading about the history of magic then retelling it in amusing ways.

 

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

The Last Temptation of Christ really, really affected me. Just this idea that if you really were Jesus and you really did hear the voice of God in your head. Of course, you'd think you were going mad. And Willam Defoe is my favourite actor.

You can see The Cunning Man trailer on Vimeo (link)

Find out more on IMDb (link)

And more from Ali Cook on their social media.

Twitter (link)

Instagram (link)

Facebook (link)

IMDb (link)

 

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).